July 18, 2017
Going on a Vacation?
Here are some helpful tips to keep your home secure while away
[su_list icon=”icon: asterisk”]
- Contact the post office to have them hold your mail. It is a free feature from the United States Postal Service to retain your mail for 3 to 30 days. You can even schedule it online at the U. S. Postal Service website.
- Purchase timers to have your lights turn on for a few hours in the evening. It is too expensive to keep your lights on during your entire vacation and it is obvious to a criminal that you are gone if the lights are on in the middle of the night. Criminals will see the lights flick on and off and assume that a person is home.
- Lock every door and window, even small spaces like pet doors. Make sure all keys are accounted for and do not hide a key somewhere outside as criminals know the usual hiding places. It is also a good idea to turn off the garage door, thieves could open it up with a universal remote.
- Although costly, it is a good idea to hire a house sitter to water the plants, collect newspapers and take care of pets. If you have a few pets, it will be cheaper to hire a pet sitter than to board them. To make your house seem lived in, it is also a good idea to hire a landscaper to mow your lawn while you’re away.
- Be quiet about being out of town for long periods of time, especially on social media. Do not post pictures of your vacation until after you are home. Even if you have high security settings on your social media accounts, it might be possible for unwanted eyes to see your posts.
- Install a home security system and video cameras. Not only will you be instantly notified if anything happens, you will also be able to easily see what is going on on an app on your smartphone. It will ensure you have peace of mind so that you will be able to enjoy your relaxing vacation.